Choco-Peanut Bars Deluxe Recipe
Satisfy your sweet tooth with the classic blend of peanut butter and chocolate. Together, the tender peanutty bar and crunchy chocolate topping are irresistible.—Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, IL
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2-1/4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 3. For topping, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir in cereal. Carefully spread over the top. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 bar equals 197 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC