Chive Crab Cakes Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons minced chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add the chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
2 crab cakes equals 242 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 731 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.