Chive Crab Cakes Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons minced chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add the chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
2 crab cakes: 242 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chive Crab Cakes
"The recipe is very easy to make and quick to fry. I think that it could use a boost in flavor, but since I'm a novice cook I don't know what I will add. Right now, it's just my fiance and myself so the recipe allows for leftovers. I also used imitation crab meat. I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a quick meal with decent appeal."
"Beat the single egg until the white and yolk are mixed. Measure and use half. Yolks can be used in Creme Brulee."
"I would like to cut this recipe in half but not sure how to divide up the eggs?"