Chive Cheese Biscuits
From Black Creek, British Columbia, Joan Baskin writes, "These are the lightest biscuits I've ever baked. My husband loves them with a meal of macaroni and cheese and coleslaw." Flecks of fresh chives and golden bits of cheddar cheese make the biscuits a savory standout.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup minced chives
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar
- and salt. Cut in cheese and shortening until mixture resembles
- coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and chives until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times. Roll
- to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on
- an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 184 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.