Chippy Macaroon Angel Cake Recipe
This homemade angel cake, filled with coconut and chocolate chips, is as light as a cloud. It’s so pretty with the sweetened whipped cream “frosting” piped around it. I love to bake breads and desserts for our large family.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely.
- 4. For topping, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with cake; sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate any leftover topping. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 272 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC