Chippy Macaroon Angel Cake Recipe
This homemade angel cake, filled with coconut and chocolate chips, is as light as a cloud. It’s so pretty with the sweetened whipped cream “frosting” piped around it. I love to bake breads and desserts for our large family.
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with cake; sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate any leftover topping. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chippy Macaroon Angel Cake in Country Woman March/April 2006, p45
Reviews for Chippy Macaroon Angel Cake(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2011
Love this cake! It is good with just cool whip on top
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2010
Great way to get rid of all the egg whites after baking all those Easter babkas. Kids loved it and it was sweet enough even after I cut back on the sugars and chips.
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Coconut Cake >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >