Chipotle Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 can (7 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1. Drain chipotle peppers; set aside 2 tablespoons adobo sauce. Seed and chop three peppers; set aside. (Save remaining peppers and sauce for another use.)
- 2. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, carrots, green pepper, onion, garlic and reserved peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, chili powder, cumin and reserved adobo sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 293 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 844 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1 starch.