Chipotle Shredded Beef Recipe
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 2 teaspoons sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, peppers with sauce, garlic, brown sugar, bay leaves and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add tomato mixture. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Discard bay leaves. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks. Return beef and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. If desired, top with cheese and sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Reviews for Chipotle Shredded Beef
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.