- covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from
- cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks. Return beef and cooking
- juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. If desired,
- top with cheese and sour cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.