Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Pecans Recipe
Your holiday sweet potatoes won't be ho-hum when you serve them this way. The slices of sweet potatoes take on an amazing smokey flavor from the chipotle peppers and the topping of spicy pecans add even more zing.—Donna Thomas, Dallas, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, sugar, adobo sauce, cumin and chili powder until pecans are coated. Spread onto foil; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cream, chipotle peppers, salt and pepper. Arrange a third of the sweet potatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour 2/3 cup cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat layers twice.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with spiced pecans. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 509 calories, 47 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC