- 4 pounds plum tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add tomatoes, a few at a time; boil 30 seconds. Drain and immediately place tomatoes in ice water. Drain and pat dry; peel.
- In a food processor, cover and process tomatoes in batches until finely chopped. Transfer to a Dutch oven. Add brown sugar, vinegar, chipotle peppers and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Ladle hot mixture into six hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Originally published as Chipotle Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p216
Reviews for Chipotle Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review