Chipotle Focaccia with Garlic-Onion Topping Recipe
Chipotle peppers leave some people tongue-tied; others can't get enough of the smoky heat. I came up with this recipe for chipotle, roasted garlic and caramelized onion focaccia. Some wanted it spicier - it's only a medium heat pepper - and some like it just the way it is. Add more if you crave the fire. —Frances "Kay" Bouma, Trail, British Columbia
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down dough; cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, place garlic in a small microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Microwave on high for 20-60 seconds or until softened. Mash the garlic.
- 4. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a well-greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until slightly risen, about 20 minutes.
- 5. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add the chipotle peppers, salt and mashed garlic; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle over dough.
- 7. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 159 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC