I've had this fajita recipe for three years and my husband and I just love it. Be careful with the chipotle peppers as they can be very hot. I changed it up a little to fit our taste. You may want to adjust the amount to your preference. —Melissa Thomeczek, Hannibal, Missouri
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Place the chili sauce, lime juice and chipotle peppers in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer 1/2 cup to a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- Pour remaining marinade into a small bowl; add the vinegar, brown sugar and molasses. Cover and refrigerate.
- On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°, turning occasionally.
- Unskewer chicken and vegetables into a large bowl; add 1/2 cup chipotle-molasses mixture and toss to coat. Keep warm.
- Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for 45-55 seconds on each side or until warmed. Top with chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese and remaining chipotle-molasses mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Chicken Fajitas in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review