Chipotle Chicken and Beans Recipe
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water and broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast half widthwise into six strips. Sprinkle with salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/2 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cranberry sauce, chipotle peppers, lime juice and remaining water. Bring to a boil.
- 4. Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and beans to the skillet; heat through. Serve chicken over bean mixture; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 366 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.