Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (3 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup(23)
Sort By :
We really liked this variation on squash soup. I could not find the chipotle pepper in adoble. I substituted with some chili powder and paprika. Nice and flavourful.
My family thought this soup was delicious and just the right amount of spice with the cumin and 1 chipotle pepper just like the recipe. I did not have any vegetable broth on hand so I used chicken broth. I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste but we really enjoyed it. I will make it again for sure.
Experienced cook made this recipe exactly written, found the soup to be somewhat lacking in depth of flavor. I think that a yellow onion carmelized with the garlic, then add the squash, etc would go a long way to improving the flavor. Served with diced green onion and Parmesan on top and garlic crostini for dipping. Probably will try a different recipe next time :(
My husband and I loved this soup. Hearty, filling, flavorful, healthy, this soup has it all. First time I have made butternut squash soup, all the other recipes always seem so bland. I added two chipolte peppers and a little extra of the sauce, it was HOT, we like spicy, but I am thinking using this much chipolte would be TOO much for most. Be careful with the peppers!! A little goes FAR. Can't wait to make again!!
MommaLittle, If you refer to the recipe it states 1 CHIPOLTE PEPPER IN ADOBO SAUCE, not 1 CAN! I can see why your soup was so spicy! Try again using just one or two peppers. I bet you will prefer it this way.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Spinach Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >