Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Using herbs and vegetables from the garden along with convenient pantry items makes this hearty soup easy and fast to fix. Your family will devour it. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- 3. Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 279 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC