- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Fresh sage, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. If desired, sprinkle with fresh sage. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
"I wanted to love this soup but I just found there was too much in it. In fact, I had tasted it when there was just broth, spices, tomatoes, carrot and squash (I roasted mine) and found it delicious. I'll make it again but without the chipotle, corn, beans and cream cheese. May keep the spinach or may not."
"Delicious. I may add another pepper next time to make a little more spicy."
"We added smoked turkey breast at the end and wow! This was so tasty. I will be making this again for sure."
"I really liked the flavor. I would do this again, just without the seeds of the chipotle pepper and with about a 1/3 of the pepper."
"Excellent recipe! I made two changes because I didn't have all ingredients on hand. I didn't have the chipotle in adobo sauce. I just used dried chipotle: about 1/8 teaspoon, and it was just enough heat. I didn't have fresh basil, so instead of using a can of plain tomatoes I used the kind with basil, oregano and garlic in it. I will be making this on a regular basis this fall."
"First time I made this, I used one chipotle pepper and it was very hot. Too hot for my husband. I made it again and used a 1/3 of a chipotle and it was perfect. Love this recipe, definitely a great comfort soup!"
"Delicious! Didn't have any black beans so just left them out. Still so good."
"What is there to say but, EXCELLENT!!! I love spice so I add one more pepper in adbo. Also used fire roasted tomatoes and spicy corn. The only thing I do differently is I don't saute the squash first. I just add the first ingredients minus the oil and boil right away. Done it both ways. It's easier just boiling it and it tastes the same either way. Love this soup so much requested a submersion blender for Christmas so I can make it with more ease."
"This was AMAZING!!!!"