Chipotle Beef Tenderloins Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper, jalapeno and chipotle pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, pepper sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro and Liquid Smoke if desired.
- 3. Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning. Grill, over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 steak with 1/3 cup sauce equals 324 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 649 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.