It's time to kick up steak night with this recipe that's perfect for the grill. Prepping the steaks while the sauce simmers saves time.
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper, jalapeno and chipotle pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, pepper sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro and Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning. Grill, over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Beef Tenderloins in Taste of Home June/July 2011, p23
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chipotle Beef Tenderloins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review