- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper, jalapeno and chipotle pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, pepper sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro and Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning. Grill, over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now