Chip Lover's Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 18 miniature chocolate chip cookies
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour and confectioners' sugar until blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with cake batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into the center of each; cover with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla until creamy. Set aside 1 cup frosting; frost cupcakes with remaining frosting.
- 5. Stir baking cocoa and remaining milk into reserved frosting. Cut a small hole in a corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip. Fill bag with chocolate frosting. Pipe a rosette on top of each cupcake; garnish with a cookie. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chip Lover's Cupcakes
"Excellent and so easy. My teens made these for a friend's birthday and they looked like they'd come from a fancy bake shop! Our cookies sank to the bottom we didn't read comments about freezing cookie dough first...might try that, might not, I like the little crisp nugget of cookie dough at the bottom. We used all butter in the frosting too."
"I read the previous reviews so as to not have any mishaps. I froze the dough bites first, and used the foil cupcake liners. I didn't get very adventurous in making the frosting either (used canned), but I must say these are delicious! I ate one directly out of the oven and they are so fabulous! I also decorated mine w/ pretty sprinkles and such, as it's the holiday season. Yum!"
"Delicious and Gorgeous! I actually got 2 dozen from this recipe. Next time, I'll double the icing recipe because that's my favorite part."
"I would appreciate Donna adding to her recipe the secret to keeping the cookie dough in the middle of the cupcake. Mine sank to the bottom and stuck (as I see happened to others as well.) This made the cupcakes no better than what they ended up being - cupcakes from a packaged cake mix!"
"These cupcakes were simple and amazing! I noticed that most everyone who commented said they struggled because the cookie dough sinks to the bottom. Yes it sinks to the bottom but oh well! Just think of that as your last treat and scrape it off the wrapper with your teeth :) One thing I did discover, because I used paper cucake liners and foil cupcake liners, is that the dough DID NOT sink to the bottom of the cupcakes that were in the foil liners. I didn't make any of the frosting but the cupcakes themselves were delicious."
"Loved these! The "dough" sunk to the bottom, but that was OK. It still tasted wonderful and looked fabulous! I feel like a cupcake pro!"
"My husband ate 7 of these in one day."
"This recipe is delightful and a ton of fun to make. My family loves it and it's a keeper, for sure."
"the cupcake was good but the cookie dough part did not stay together. it basically melted and i had a clump of chocolate chips. I heard from another person that used a different recipe like this that it works better to freeze the cookie dough balls first and then drop them on top of the dough."
"the cupcakes were good, but the frosting is not very tasty. i suggest using chocolate icing instead."
"my daughter and i made them this last weekend. they wre soooo good and also so easy to make we enjoyed them very much"
"The recipe says to use a white cake mix.Follow the directions on the back of the box."
"there are no ingredients for this cupcake."
"Please make a rule that states to comment on a recipe ONLY after it's actually been tried."
"they sound so good i am going to try them too"
"My cookie dough will not hold after baking them. All the sugars form into a liquid and get rock hard on the bottom of my cupcake. Any help to fix this?"
"These are absolutely delicious! I used a French Vanilla cake mix and it turned out great. We froze the leftovers and my husband even loved them frozen! I will definitely make them again."
"Oh my gosh these are to die for!!! WICKED sweet! Exactly what I love!"
"YUMO!! I will let you no how they turn out."