Chip Lover's Cupcakes Recipe
Making chocolate chip cookies is a challenge with three teenagers who are always grabbing the dough to "sample." Their love of cookie dough inspired the recipe for these cupcakes that adults will enjoy, too. —Donna Scully, Middletown, Delaware
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 18 miniature chocolate chip cookies
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour and confectioners' sugar until blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with cake batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into the center of each; cover with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla until creamy. Set aside 1 cup frosting; frost cupcakes with remaining frosting.
- 5. Stir baking cocoa and remaining milk into reserved frosting. Cut a small hole in a corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip. Fill bag with chocolate frosting. Pipe a rosette on top of each cupcake; garnish with a cookie. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC