Chip 'n' Dip Bread Witch Recipe
Who needs tricks with a treat as bewitching as this appetizer? This ghoulish beauty is sure to steal center stage on your table. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 egg whites
- Black, green and red paste food coloring
- 1 sliced almond
- 1 pimiento-stuffed olive slice
- 1 raisin
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 jars (15-1/2 ounces each) salsa con queso dip
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Let dough rise according to package directions. For witch's face, on a lightly floured surface, roll one loaf into an 8-in.-high x 6-in.-wide oval. Cut a 3-in. piece off the top and set aside. Place rolled piece on a large greased baking sheet. Pull lower left side of dough down and to the left, forming a chin.
- 2. For hat, roll remaining loaf into a 9-1/2-in.-high x 6-1/2-in.-wide triangle; place above face. Divide reserved dough into thirds. Roll two pieces into 12-in.-long ropes; twist together. Place over bottom of hat for brim.
- 3. Shape two-thirds of remaining dough into a nose. Cut a 1-in. slit at an angle 1 in. below brim; insert nose. Roll remaining dough into a 4-in. piece; fold in half for lips. Cut a 2-in. slit below nose; insert lips.
- 4. Divide egg whites among three custard cups; with food coloring, tint one portion black, one green and one red. Brush black over hat. Brush green over face and nose. Brush red over lips.
- 5. For eye, place almond and olive between nose and brim. For wart, lightly press raisin into nose. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over dough for hair.
- 6. Let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 7. Hollow out center of hat; fill with dip, adding more as needed. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 1 witch (1-1/2 to 3 cups dip).
2 tablespoon: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Chip 'n' Dip Bread Witch
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2013
"So tasty and fun/fun y/spoooooky!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC