Chinese Scallion Pancakes Recipe
Unlike true pancakes, "Cong You Bing" (or Chinese scallion pancakes) are made from a dough instead of a batter. The tasty appetizers are the perfect "sponge" for mopping up extra sauce and can be made ahead of time for convenience. Just wrap in foil and reheat in the oven. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place flour in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; sprinkle with heaping tablespoon of green onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roll up jelly-roll style; holding one end of rope, wrap dough around, forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cook pancakes, one at a time, over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with pancakes. Yield: 8 pancakes (1/4 cup sauce).
Originally published as Chinese Scallion Pancakes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p99
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chinese Scallion Pancakes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >