Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe
My husband enjoys Chinese food, and he's my test kitchen judge. Thus far, there aren't many dishes he doesn't care for. Early in our marriage, I tried not to serve some of the common dishes I grew up with and have become more creative with cooking. Shirley Claggett Melfort, Saskatchewan
- 1-1/2 cups julienned green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a wok or skillet, stir-fry green peppers and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 1 minute longer. Remove and keep warm.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, stir-fry the beef and garlic in remaining oil for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- Combine the cornstarch, apple juice and water until smooth; stir into the beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Return the vegetables to the pan; heat through. Serve over the rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chinese Pepper Steak in Reminisce March/April 2005, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chinese Pepper Steak(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2012
Very tasty! Has a sweet fruity flavor that is light on the palate. Definitely will make again!
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >