- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (5 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, bean sprouts, soy sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in rice and water chestnuts.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir in peas and sprinkle with noodles. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chinese Beef Casserole
"Horrible!...I will not cook it again. No taste and it didn't look appetizing. I don't recommend it."
"My family and I were not impressed. I won't serve it again."
"It was OK. I liked the crunch but not sure if I really liked the flavor. I would make it once a year."
"My grandkids said it tastes like hamburger helper. O. K. But not a winner."
"I haven't done this recipe yet.. but I asked my cousin who should be a gourmet cook about the dilemma of the crunchy rice. He suggested that you cover the pan tightly when baking it.. and to extend the cook time to an hour. I'll let you know how it goes with this adjustment."