Chinese Almond Cookies
Each Christmas, my mother made lots of these tender butter cookies and stored them in clean coffee cans. When she passed away, I started giving our kids a can of these sentimental sweets. —Jane Garing, Talladega, Alabama
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and extract.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush over cookies. Bake
- at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly
- browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 133 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium,