Chilly Night Beef Stew Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. Brown beef in oil in batches in a large skillet. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt slow cooker. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine the broth, juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, basil, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over top.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 310 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 874 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Chilly Night Beef Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.