Chilled Summer Berry Bisque Recipe
A blend of yogurt and spices thickens this cold blueberry soup and tempers the sweetness. It makes an attractive and healthy first course for a summer menu.—Arlene Knick, Newport News, Virginia
- 4-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt
- Fresh mint leaves
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups blueberries, apple juice, orange juice, honey, ginger, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process blueberry mixture and yogurt in batches until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, garnish with mint and remaining blueberries. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 145 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC