Chilled Sorrel Soup
This is a tart, refreshing cold soup with lovely spring green color. I especially like serving sorrel this way.Sarah Seltzer, Sacramento, California
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 pound fresh sorrel
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream
- Additional chopped fresh sorrel, optional
- Remove center ribs and stems from sorrel; tie ribs and stems in a
- bundle and wrap in cheesecloth. Chop leaves into this strips. In a
- 2-qt. saucepan, combine water, lemon juice, sorrel leaves and bundle
- of stems. Simmer for 20 minutes; discard stem bundle.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; add a small amount of sorrel
- mixture, stirring constantly. Return all to the pan. Cook and stir
- until soup thickens (do not boil). Cool; chill for several hours.
- Add salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and
- additional sorrel if desired. Yield: 4 servings (1 quart).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 43 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.