Chilled Cream of Cucumber Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds cucumbers, peeled
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking farina
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Slice 1/3 cup cucumbers; refrigerate. Chop the remaining cucumbers and add to onion mixture. Add the broth, dill, vinegar and salt; bring to a boil. Gradually add farina, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until pureed. Pour into a container; refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, whisk in 1/2 cup sour cream. Garnish each serving with reserved cucumber slices and 1 tablespoon sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 116 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chilled Cream of Cucumber Soup
"Sooo delicious! Easy to make and perfect for summer. Even my fussy husband loved it. This is now in my summer recipe repertoire!"