Chilled Cream of Cucumber Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds cucumbers, peeled
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking farina
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Slice 1/3 cup cucumbers; refrigerate. Chop the remaining cucumbers and add to onion mixture. Add the broth, dill, vinegar and salt; bring to a boil. Gradually add farina, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until pureed. Pour into a container; refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, whisk in 1/2 cup sour cream. Garnish each serving with reserved cucumber slices and 1 tablespoon sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 116 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Chilled Cream of Cucumber Soup
"Sooo delicious! Easy to make and perfect for summer. Even my fussy husband loved it. This is now in my summer recipe repertoire!"