Chilled Beet Salad Recipe
We enjoy fresh beets all summer long. This ruby-red dish is an excellent change from the typical tossed salad and pairs well with any sandwich and entree.
- 1/2 pound fresh beets
- 1/4 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from the water; cool.
- 2. Peel beets and thinly slice. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 2 servings.
2/3 cup equals 105 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC