Chilled Bean Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 2 cups spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped sweet red or yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teapoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Sliced cucumber, optional
- 1. In a blender, combine tomatoes and V8 juice; cover and process just until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the beans, chopped cucumber, sweet pepper, onion, vinegar, sugar and seasonings.
- 3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with sour cream. Garnish with sliced cucumber if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1 cup with 1 tablespoon sour cream) equals 122 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.