This is a delightful soup that's perfect for hot weather. The curry seasoning comes through just right.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash lemon juice
- Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; set tips aside. Place the remaining asparagus in a saucepan; add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips; cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and chill until serving.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add pureed asparagus. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot soup into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is heated through and reaches 160°. Stir in the cream, curry powder, pepper and lemon juice.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Cover and chill until serving. Garnish with asparagus tips, gently adding to each bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chilled Asparagus Soup in Country Extra July 2000, p51
Reviews for Chilled Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review