- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash lemon juice
- Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; set tips aside. Place the remaining asparagus in a saucepan; add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips; cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and chill until serving.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add pureed asparagus. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot soup into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is heated through and reaches 160°. Stir in the cream, curry powder, pepper and lemon juice.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Cover and chill until serving. Garnish with asparagus tips, gently adding to each bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chilled Asparagus Soup in Country Extra July 2000, p51
Reviews for Chilled Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 29, 2013
"Just made this soup. It screamed for salt and twice the pepper. I would make it again although this recipe made for a sink full of dishes."