Chili with Tortilla Dumplings
Meet the Cook: Down here in Texas, we've always enjoyed Southwestern cooking. This chili is a special favorite - I've prepared it for a crowd and just the two of us, too.
My husband and I have three sons and three grandchildren.
-Shirley Logan, Houston, Texas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat
- until beef is not longer pink; drain. Add the next seven
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50
- Halve each tortilla and cut into 1/4 in. strips. Gently stir into
- soup; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tortillas are
- softened. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 339 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 796 mg sodium,