Meet the Cook: Now that my husband has retired - we have two grown sons - we eat out a lot. If we stay home, though, he asks if we are going to have this chili! I've been making it, with a few ingredients added or changed , most of my married life. -Shirley Marshall, Michigantown, Indiana
Recommended: Top 10 Casserole Recipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) mild chili beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups V8 juice
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the first five dumpling ingredients. Add milk and egg; stir just until moistened. Let stand for 3 minutes.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering chili. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Chili with Potato Dumplings in Country Woman September/October 1995, p31
Reviews for Chili with Potato Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review