Chili with Corn Bread Topping
Corn bread is the perfect partner for canned chili in the easy warmer-upper for two our Test Kitchen put together.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup corn bread/muffin mix
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour into two 2-cup
- baking dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk and egg. Stir in
- cheese and corn just until combined. Spread batter evenly over
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with fat-free milk, egg substitute and reduced-fat cheese) equals 657 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,714 mg sodium,