Chili with Barley
From Falmouth, Kentucky, Shirley McClanahan notes, “This is one of those quick but delicious, one-dish dinner recipes you can never have too many of. It’s a perfect, stick-to-the-ribs meal on those cold winter days when you need to be warmed from the inside out. My family loves it and even our minister raved about it at a potluck supper.”
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add
- water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until
- barley is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and
- chili seasoning; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.