Chili with Barley Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add water; bring to a boil.
- 2. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and chili seasoning; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Chili with Barley
"i made this with some changes. i cooked the barley separately, then mixed together with other ingredients. i had fresh tomatoes to use up so i peeled & diced those and added 12oz tomato sauce instead of paste. used a tbsp chili powder instead of an envelope of chili seasoning. when it was done, i thought it lacked something so i added s&p to taste plus several drops of hot sauce. enjoyed it."
"I loved this it was my first time making chili, I didn't add the barley because I couldn't find it in the store but it still taste delicious"