Chili Verde Recipe
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. We enjoy it any time of year, but it's especially good on a cool and rainy day.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 pounds boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound of pork; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining meat, adding more oil as needed. Return all of the meat to Dutch oven.
Sprinkle flour over meat; mix well. Add the chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, salsa and broth. Cover and simmer until pork is tender and chili reaches desired consistency, about 1-1/2 hours. Serve with tortillas.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled chili in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 404 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 48 g protein.
Reviews for Chili Verde
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC