Chili Verde Recipe
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. We enjoy it any time of year, but it's especially good on a cool and rainy day.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 pounds boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add 1 pound of pork; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining meat, adding more oil as needed. Return all of the meat to Dutch oven.
- 2. Sprinkle flour over meat; mix well. Add the chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, salsa and broth. Cover and simmer until pork is tender and chili reaches desired consistency, about 1-1/2 hours. Serve with warmed tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 404 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 48 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC