Chili Verde with Pork Recipe
Friends and family never seem to tire of this chili. We like this as a meal in itself but also use it to top our favorite Mexican foods like burritos.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Warm flour tortillas, optional
- 1. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add pork cubes and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, brown pork in oil; drain.
- 2. Add chilies, tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until pork is tender. Serve with tortillas if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 385 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 151 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 44 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC