Doris McGuire found other recipes for green chili stew to be too bland, so she created this version at her home in Grants Pass, Oregon. "It makes a great dinner served with corn bread sticks and a simple salad," she writes.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound boneless pork roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a large saucepan, cook the pork in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the pork, wine or broth, tomatoes, salsa, 1 tablespoon chilies, cumin, sugar and cloves. Cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley, jalapeno and remaining chilies. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chili Verde Stew in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p51
Reviews forChili Verde Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2015
"Made this last night family said it was good but a little bland for are taste.Will make again but add some more spices"