- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 pounds boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound of pork; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining meat, adding more oil as needed. Return all of the meat to Dutch oven.
Sprinkle flour over meat; mix well. Add the chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, salsa and broth. Cover and simmer until pork is tender and chili reaches desired consistency, about 1-1/2 hours. Serve with tortillas.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled chili in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chili Verde
"Regarding Tamara's review- what you conceive of as "chili" is not chile verde. Chile verde never has beans in it. (although most chili purists would say the same about chili). This recipe is a shortcut version -not the real deal,but can be used as a quick base with a many additional seasonings added in. I went ahead and did a New Mexico style Green chile stew with potatoes. I do like using the crock pot for making sure the pork is tender and infusing flavor. Hatch roasted green chiles are a must! Buy them in season, roast and freeze for use later."
"My chilil verde recipe is very time consuming and I wanted something easy. This was easy and tasty. I did use green enchilada sauce for half the chicken broth."
"I initially made this recipe because I was testing recipes for a chili cookoff. While I didn't use it for the cookoff, it is one of our favorites. My husband loves it. And you can spice it up if you want. This one is definetely a keeper!! Also goes good with the "quick" Spanish rice recipe on ToH. Basically calls for minute rice and salsa."
"Excellent!! Everyone at home loves it!!"