- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, beans, corn, green chilies, onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and oregano; heat through.
In an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the tortillas, beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chili Tortilla Bake
"Simple & fairly quick to make! I didn't have tomato sauce, substituted tomato soup, turned out great! If you have eaters that don't like beans, you substitute refried beans."
"Hubby and I both enjoyed this dish. Hubby had this over lettuce. Will definitely make again!!!"
"This is one recipe I'll be keeping in my stack of favorites. Full of flavor and I loved how affordable the ingredients were. I did double the amount of cheese and added another layer of tortillas."
"Our family enjoyed this recipe and would make again. Husband licked his plate! We added chopped avocados and sour cream as an optional topping at table, and everything else made as directed. Delicious."
"Because I wanted it to taste like tamales, I subbed corn tortillas instead of the whole wheat tortillas. Took it to a potluck and didn't bring any home."
"very tasty and will make again!"
"My hubby really liked this one. I liked that it was healthy. Beans, corn and green chiles make a good combination."
"Absolutely delicious! Lot of flavor and definitely a keeper in my recipe box!!"
"I needed a quick ground beef recipe tonight that didn't include pasta and this fit wonderfully! I only had one can of tomato sauce, so I substituted one cup of spaghetti sauce and I added an extra cup of frozen sweet corn. I baked it in a 9x11 dish without problems. It will easily feed our family of four two meals this week."
"This turns out amazing every time. It has a great kick without being too much! It's one of my go-to healthy week night recipes when I don't have tons of time to kill. Wouldn't change a thing about it! Serve with a mexi salad for some added greens."