Chili-Topped Taters Recipe
I usually bake extra potatoes in anticipation of making this recipe. When our kids come in from sledding, I just reheat the potatoes in the microwave, top them with the chili..and they have a warm, hearty lunch—Marlys Withrow-Hill, Walsenburg, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: YIELD:6 servings
- 6 large potatoes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add beans, tomato sauce and seasonings; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut an X in the top of each with a sharp knife. Fluff pulp with a fork; top with chili and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 744 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 926 mg sodium, 100 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 47 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC