Chili-Topped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce with a fork. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the green peppers, onions, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in corn and parsley; simmer 5 minutes longer.
- 3. Cut sweet potatoes in half; top with chili. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sweet potato with 2/3 cup chili equals 233 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable.