"My family loves chili, so I decided to try stuffing green peppers with it," recalls Verna Redman of Dade City, Florida. "They tasted great and are good made with leftover chili, too," she adds.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place peppers in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, salt if desired, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into peppers; place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Stuffed Peppers in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p20
Reviews for Chili-Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2015
"Change the chili filling and totally change the taste experience."
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2010