This thick zippy stew from Amy Short of Lesage, West Virginia is loaded with familiar ingredients, such as ground beef, tomatoes, kidney beans and chili beans. Chili powder and green chilies season it just right.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and green
- pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (recipe prepared with lean ground beef and 1-1/2 cups frozen corn) equals 263 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 812 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.