Chili-Spiced Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. Combine the first five ingredients; rub over chicken. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- 2. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 chicken breast half with 1/3 cup sauce) equals 166 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.