Chili-Spiced Chicken Breasts Recipe
Spicing up dinnertime at her house in Lockney, Texas is a snap for Stacy Nutt when she bakes this zippy chicken dish. The mix of chili powder, jalapeno and cayenne pepper perks up the poultry perfectly. "I serve it over couscoustiny pasta grains. But you could also use rice, other pasta or potatoes," she notes.
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Combine the first five ingredients; rub over chicken. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Spiced Chicken Breasts in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p21
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chili-Spiced Chicken Breasts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2010
Nice flavor, not too spicy, easy to make
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2009
I didn't have jalapeno peppers so I used a 4 oz can of green chili peppers and added a can of black beans. Delicious.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >