Chili Skillet Recipe
Meet the Cook: Like most farmers, my husband loves chili. And with all of the vegetables, cheese and meat in it, this quick dish makes a real meal-in-one. I serve it frequently in fall and winter. I began cooking young. My mom taught me a lot...so did years of 4-H! My husband and I have a dairy farm, and we also make maple syrup. I'm the mother of two small boys. They don't care for the olives in this recipe - but the rest they eat right up! -Katherine Brown, Fredericktown, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, salt and rice; cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in corn and olives; cover and cook 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 516 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1,491 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 34 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC