Chili Sausage Supper
The pork sausage in this savory dish offers plenty of flavor, and the chili powder adds a little kick. “It’s a nice supper that’s very easy to prepare,” says Phillis Moore of Excelsior Springs, Missouri.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the
- noodles, tomatoes, water, sugar, chili powder and salt if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or
- until noodles are tender.
- Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot sausage mixture into sour cream; return
- all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook until heated through.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-fat turkey sausage and reduced-fat sour cream; calculated without salt) equals 465 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.