—Virginia Lanphier, Omaha, Nebraska
- 4 quarts chopped peeled tomatoes (about 24 large)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 medium)
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- In a stock pot, combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar and salt; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Place the pickling spices, celery seed and mustard seed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag; add to tomato mixture. Cook for 45 minutes or until very thick, stirring frequently.
- Add vinegar; cook to desired thickness. Discard spice bag. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 6 pints.
Originally published as Chili Sauce in Country Woman July/August 1996, p41
Reviews for Chili Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2011
"This recipe is wonderful. My Hubby makes it and WoW!! Thank you for sharing with us .."