Chili Sandwiches Recipe
No one will be able to resist these special sandwiches stuffed with spicy chili. Of course, the chili also makes a wonderfully filling meal by itself.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 30 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, simmer beans and beef in water for 2 hour or until very tender; drain. Shred beef and place beef and beans in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to slow cooker. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings. Saute the onion, carrots, celery and peppers in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients except buns. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 30 servings.
1 each: 289 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Chili Sandwiches
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC