- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to
- a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let
- stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse
- beans, discarding liquid.
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, simmer beans and beef in water for 2
- hour or until very tender; drain. Shred beef and place beef and
- beans in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove bacon to slow cooker. Discard all but 3
- tablespoons drippings. Saute the onion, carrots, celery and peppers
- in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients
- except buns. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring often.
- Discard bay leaf. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 30 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 289 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 686 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.